The chairman and CEO of Raymond James has been elected to chair the investment industry’s regulator.
Paul Allison will chair IIROC for 2018-19 having also been re-elected to its board for a new 2-year term. He has served on the board since 2013.
“As we welcome our new Directors, we also want to recognize the long-standing service and contributions of our outgoing Chair, Marianne Harris,” Mr. Allison said.
Vice-chair is corporate director Catherine Smith who has been an IIROC board member since 2012 and was also among the seven directors re-elected at the September 26 meeting.
New members joining the regulator’s board are Jos Schmitt, one of the founders and President & CEO of the Aequitas NEO Exchange; and FCAC Commissioner Lucie Tedesco.
They replace the outgoing Thomas Wittman and Marianne Harris.
“The breadth of experience brought by our Board members will help guide our work as a public-interest regulator in a rapidly changing environment,” said IIROC President and CEO, Andrew J. Kriegler.
The new IIROC board
Seven Directors were re-elected to serve on the Board for two-year terms:
- Paul Allison (Dealer Director), Chairman and CEO, Raymond James Ltd.
- Jean-Paul Bachellerie (Dealer Director), President and COO, PI Financial Corp.
- James Donegan (Independent Director), Co-Founder and Managing Partner, AGAWA Partners
- Edward Iacobucci (Independent Director), Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto
- Gerry O’Mahoney (Independent Director), Principal and Founder, Tralee Capital Markets
- Luc Paiement (Dealer Director), Executive Advisor to the President and CEO, National Bank of Canada
- Catherine Smith (Independent Director), Corporate Director
Five Directors will continue to serve the second year of their two-year terms:
- Rita Achrekar (Dealer Director), Senior Vice-President of Compliance, Scotiabank
- Holly Benson (Dealer Director), Vice-President, Finance and CFO, Peters & Co. Limited
- Michèle Colpron (Independent Director), Corporate Director
- Luc Fortin (Marketplace Director), President and CEO, Montreal Exchange and Global Head of Trading, TMX Group
- Brian Heidecker (Independent Director), Corporate Director
More market talk: