Wealth Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Wealth Professional | 30 Oct 2015, 09:10 AM Agree 0
Tracking air travel as well as land crossings could hurt the OAS benefits of snowbirds, but advisors point out there’s something terribly wrong with the way the system calculates many benefits even for long-time residents
  • Yanik Leclair | 30 Oct 2015, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    With my parents who have lived here all their lives, and had good jobs, so contributed their fair share of taxes and deductions. Why would a government working for the Canadian people, penalize them for enjoying their retirement they earned, just because they want to enjoy the sun. I think than any system should think of giving back, where it is due, not constantly taking away from the people who put in the most!
  • Mark | 30 Oct 2015, 12:46 PM Agree 0
    Excellent argument and unfortunately, I am sure it will be completely ignored by the government
  • dave | 30 Oct 2015, 02:56 PM Agree 0
    If you qualify for only the minimum, currently 25% based on 10 years residency, that person would qualify for the 100% of the GIS. Could have significant assets overseas or here but not taxable income so gets full assistance from government.This is a much larger issue.
  • Jason Watt | 31 Oct 2015, 01:58 PM Agree 0
    How many people are doing this? How many OAS recipients are collecting the 25% benefit based on 10 years of residency? And what does that have to do with tracking of border crossings?
Post a reply