Wealth Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Wealth Professional | 27 Nov 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
The fieriest venture capitalist in The Dragons' Den warns that many advisors have “sorely misrepresented” clients by keeping them tied to Canada’s low-yield investments.
  • Staniel | 26 Jun 2013, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    Love this guy. NOT. However, he makes a great point about looking outside Canada. Can't deny that.
  • KENNETH | 26 Jun 2013, 02:49 PM Agree 0
    I personally believe that it is our clients that express a strong preference for Canadian equities and the challenge for us (yes, Mr. OLeary, I agree) is getting them to see the opportunities abroad.
  • Mark | 27 Jun 2013, 09:19 AM Agree 0
    I take anything this guy says with a large grain of salt. Entertaining, yes, knowledgeable, yes, advice for me or for most people, NO. For a good review on O'Leary and his funds, read
    The most important section deals with the funds he started in 2008. Yes this article might be biased but check out the facts.
  • Kyle | 27 Jun 2013, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    Worse is that home country bias limits you to Financials, Utilities, Teleco's, Gold, and some energy stocks in Canada. I have been 50% foreign weight with clients for 18 mos now. I use EFT's to get exposure outside of North America,
  • Isaac | 27 Jun 2013, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    Kevin O'Leary is all about Kevin O'Leary, the worse he makes everyone look, the better he hopes that will make him, his funds, his shows look and thereby rewarding Kevin O'Leary. I do not feel he has a good idea of the real world with real people with real money in the average middle class home in Canada. 10% of canadians make $100k or more, 1% of canadians make $250k or more, his comments genrally apply only to this 11% not to the other 89%.
  • Barb | 27 Jun 2013, 09:36 AM Agree 0
    Mr. O'Leary should talk about the performance of his "wonderful" funds. They really are stinky and I'm so glad I didn't put any clients in his funds!
  • Amelia | 27 Jun 2013, 10:05 AM Agree 0
    He is right about looking outside the domestic markets for diversification and growth opportunities. BUT please remember that it is the conservative nature of the Canadian market that saved the economy in the 2008 market crash. It is always easier to see upward, but it takes real talent to hold your loss when everyone is going down.
  • Errest | 27 Jun 2013, 11:03 AM Agree 0
    Been there, done that...lost clients' money!
  • Richard | 27 Jun 2013, 05:51 PM Agree 0
    Canada represents less than 3% of the world market and has a strong resource and financial bias. Think about it.
  • Braniff | 05 Jul 2013, 11:26 AM Agree 0
    Kevin has no real credentials to speak of. When I see that he is a registered portfolio manager, ICPM, or even a valued track record of investing I will take him seriously. End of story.
  • Jim Smith | 28 Nov 2013, 09:58 AM Agree 0
    This is the same guy who said Brazil was where he was putting his money 3 years ago because of the 8%+ GDP growth rate and look at how that index has performed. He has not talked about that place for some time! Enough said. He is a marketing guy looking to grease his pockets. He had one big (and lucky and tainted) transaction and now he calls himself successful. Would never put a dollar in his highly expensive mutual funds as he is just the marketing face for that company. I am left holding that crappy stuff and he gets paid on it. The managers do not have a great track record so not sure how they got hired. They look like they are in their early twenties. I do like to watch him all that aside. Good luck but boy this guy is wrong more the right!
  • David | 28 Nov 2013, 10:04 AM Agree 0
    He has shown his personality on TV and I have watched his funds flounder when it comes to performance. It appears that he is entirely self interested and I lend no credence to anything that comes out of his mouth.

My big question is at the point that he is an owner of a mutual fund company, is he investing all of his assets in these funds? If he isn't comfortable enough to do that, don't ask me for my clients money.
  • paul | 28 Nov 2013, 10:17 AM Agree 0
    Yes, all clients should buy the O'Leary global infastructure play...Or perhaps anojther O'leary product. It's the only way to properly look after them......Good grief. Shame on the media agency who reported this obvious self promotion. Were they paid?
  • Bob | 28 Nov 2013, 11:58 AM Agree 0
    Saw him this week. Not overly impressed. The only value was he confirmed what I was already doing.

He thinks his performance is great, because his personal expectation is only 5% or so, as he said. I would be interested to know if he hold any securities license, as this is a requirement in Canada.
  • Paula | 28 Nov 2013, 01:45 PM Agree 0
    Global diversification is key and while I am not a fan of KO'L I do agree that many clients have missed the boat on returns with their inability to see past their own biases. The best way that we have been able to get around that has been to use globally diversified and rebalancing portfolios (thank you Alfred Lam) and then EXPLAINING this and EDUCATING our clients. This takes time and some advisors are short sighted in the fact that most Cdns need hand-holding and education. I don't agree that only 11% of Cdns need to worry about this either. IF you own MF in an RRSP or elsewhere you need to understand this information
  • john | 28 Nov 2013, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    I hope Mr O'leary has not put all his $$ in his funds. They have sucked. Many fund managers in Canada have been investing outside of canada or a portion outside canada for the past 12-24 mos.I listened to him 3 yrs ago when he was pushing other investment advice. I believe someone should challenge him on his advice. Should change his name to B Leary
  • Jake | 29 Nov 2013, 06:31 AM Agree 0
    I sold all my Canadian equities in Oct 2007 and used the proceeds to buy US equities on March 9, 2009. Also started buying EAFE last year.
  • Mark Jasayko, CFA | 29 Nov 2013, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    So, in order to chase returns, O'Leary is saying investors should consider China.

The Shanghai Composite is down 63% from its peak in late 2007. It had a dead cat bounce in 2009 rising to only half of its previous high. Since then, it has been on a slow four-year bleed back down near to the post crash lows again.

Emerging markets and the BRIC countries as a whole exhibit the same pattern.

And with respect to this, he proudly proclaims to be a "fund flow guy."

Well he's the patsy then, because his "funds are flowing" to state officials and the CEO's of Chinese SOE's which use smaller publicly-listed firms as lambs to be sacrificed as necessary.

Nice call Mr. Dragon. He needs to keep to his schtick of judging the potential of "lemonaid stands" ideas and to steer clear of giving investment advice.

Successfully leveraging exposure on a taxpayer-funded broadcaster has gone to his head.
  • Mike | 02 Dec 2013, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    Cambodia? You've got to be kidding! lol
  • Thomas | 08 Dec 2013, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    Everything has a price. Higher growth comes at higher multiples and with higher volatility, and commonly with a negligible dividend, if any.
  • Freeda | 09 Dec 2013, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    My clients trust me to advise them based upon their goals and concerns. So far, none of them have said to me that they are willing to take the chance of making more money and when things go bad that they are willing to have their portfolio go down 40% then come back up 25%. Yes I'm a conservative advisor. I'm Canadian. I sleep with a clear conscience at night and my clients live with less stress in their lives having me as their advisor.
  • MW Schultz | 13 Dec 2013, 01:30 PM Agree 0
    Come on Mr. O'Leary, just tell the truth: if you were investing 90% of the value of your nest egg (pre or post sale of your home) you would have exactly the same concerns as the majority of Canadians. Along with the timing of investors requiring funds for their retirement comes the volatility of the markets and real risk that both zero net growth and declining markets could spell disaster for any retiree exposed to so-called market cycles. The truth is that retail investors have been getting soaked by high speed computer trading and the myriad of "professionals" who place their own incomes above those of the customers who make their jobs possible.
  • Richard | 16 Dec 2013, 10:38 AM Agree 0
    Kevin talks a good game but his funds performance are the proof in the pudding.

If Kevin has two diffferent startegies, one for his own portfolio and a different one for his investors he should be qualifying his comments.
  • Nick | 01 May 2014, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    I attended a lunch with Mr. O'leary in 2013 and he said he loved corporate bonds and had a lot of his personal money there. It seems like his views sway with the markets and he talks with the conviction of hindsight for the benefit of his fund company. This is not even newsworthy.
  • Mike | 02 May 2014, 08:18 AM Agree 0
    O'leary has no class, no talent and no idea of what he is talking about.
Post a reply