Forum

Wealth Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Changes to capital gains taxes still a possibility

Notify me of new replies via email
Wealth Professional | 23 Mar 2017, 03:34 PM Agree 0
No changes were made in the federal budget, but Finance Minister Bill Morneau isn't completely ruling out changes
  • Andrew | 23 Mar 2017, 04:33 PM Agree 0
    I always love that comment "ensure wealthy people pay their fair share of taxes". What does that even mean? "fair share". That is liberal talk for MORE, always MORE.
  • mutti | 23 Mar 2017, 04:39 PM Agree 0
    when will the 'fair share' be met or enough?
  • GH | 27 Mar 2017, 08:34 AM Agree 0
    My family cleared the land on a cottage in 1959. If you calculate the cost to purchase and build plus take into account inflation I would be selling for a loss on the property. At the current capital gains inclusion rate of 50% I would still be taxed on a property with no gains or losses. My family has paid property taxes for 58 years with absolutely no services including snow plowing in the winter! Now Souza and mother mom want to increase the tax? If he wants to make the tax situation fair he would let us increase the value of the property by inflation and then pay tax on the gains. Or he could exclude property held for more than 10 years and less than 1 acre in size. My children would have to pay tax on the property when they inherit, even if it is in a after inflation loss. Tax and spend politicians need to go - somewhere else!
Post a reply