Wealth Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Wealth Professional | 20 Jan 2015, 10:26 AM Agree 0
Why aren’t more advisors doing it the DFA way? Considering only Vanguard Group and JPMorgan Chase bettered its startling 2014 performance.
  • Comments | 20 Jan 2015, 10:47 AM Agree 0
    DFA has been very profitable for DFA corporate and its advisor network. Not so much for customers though:

More risk, less return. And that's before advisor fees!
  • Mike | 30 Jan 2015, 03:07 PM Agree 0
    I use Vanguard, iShares and DFA. The blog contains a number of errors and is clearly biased in my opinion. Since small cap and value premiums can take a long time to show up, comparing funds with less than 15 years of performance data is not very useful. Along with the greater focus of the DFA funds on the factors of returns, the better trade execution, securities lending and freedom from having to track a third party index gives DFA a competitive edge. Due the the greater tilt towards small cap and value, I believe expected returns to be somewhere between 0.5% - 1.5% higher than the similar Vanguard of iShares solution. I don't think Vanguard or iShares even offers a variable credit strategy on the fixed income side. No matter how good the solution it always seems that you will have some detractors. Perhaps an advisor that got turned down?
  • Will Ashworth | 03 Feb 2015, 03:56 PM Agree 0

Thanks for commenting.

DFA is definitely doing a lot of things right.

One thing to keep in mind - small caps have had a good run in recent years and reversion to the mean could seriously affect DFA performance in the future.
Post a reply